Astrophysics Major and Minor
Undergraduates wishing to major in astrophysics must complete the following courses in the Astronomy Department:
|Optional||Astro 7A, 7B, Python/IDL DeCal|
|Required (one of the following):||Astro 120, 121 (lab course)|
|Required (two of the following):||Astro 160, C161, C162|
|Required||Upper division electives so that the total is 30 units for a single major and 24 units for a double major|
Course List and Prerequisites
The following is a list of course prerequisites for the required courses.
|Courses||Required Prerequisites||Recommended Prerequisites|
|Astro 7A*||Physics 7A/B**
|Astro 160||Physics 112**
|Astro C161||Physics 7A/B/C||Astro 7A
|Astro C162||Physics 7A/B/C||Astro 7A
* These courses are not required but strongly recommended for anyone considering the Astrophysics major. Please consult with the Undergraduate Adviser.
** Prerequisite Course can be taken concurrently.
- Astro 7A and 7B are recommended prerequisites for all upper division courses.
- If Astro C161 and C162 are taken, then Astro C162 may be substituted for Astro 7A and 7B.
- The 30 unit requirement (or 24 units for double majors with another major in physical sciences) is the sum of astronomy upper division courses and the electives.
Undergraduates wishing to minor in astrophysics must complete the following courses in the Astronomy Department:
|Optional||Astro 7A, 7B|
|2 of:||Astro (120, 121), 160, C161, C162|
|3 of:||Upper division electives|
- Astro 7A and 7B are recommended for the minor, but are not required.
- Lower-divison prerequisites must be satisfied (see above).