Setting Up Mail: Mail (Mail.app) in Mac OS X
Incoming Mail (IMAP)
- Start Mail and open Mail>Preferences...
icon at the top of the panel
- Add a new account by clicking on the + button at bottom left
- For Incoming Mail Server, enter chandra.berkeley.edu
- Enter the user name and password for your Unix account and
N.B.: This may appear to fail. Hit Continue anyway.
- For Incoming
Mail Security, check Use
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and select Password
- For Outgoing Mail Server, enter chandra.berkeley.edu and
- NOTE: chandra.berkeley.edu will only work as an outgoing SMTP server for computers connected within the 220.127.116.11 astronomy subnet (including laptops using DHCP that are connected to a cable). If you are connected from home, please use the outgoing mail server operated by your Internet Service Provider. If you are connected via AirBears, you must use another outgoing mail server such as the one provided by CalMail.
- For Outgoing
Mail Security, leave Use
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) unchecked and select None
for authentication. Ignore the warning and continue.
- Open Mail>Preferences>Accounts and select the account that you just created
- Select the Advanced tab
- For IMAP
Path Prefix, enter mail
how to make sure this directory or link exists)
- Close the Preferences window to save the changes
Back to the Mail Client Configuration Page