Setting Up Mail: Mozilla/Netscape in Solaris
Incoming Mail (IMAP)
- Start Mozilla/Netscape and select Window>Mail&Newsgroups
- If this is the first time the application is being run, the Account Wizard will start; otherwise:
- Select Local Folders and View settings for this account, then click Add Account...
- Select Email Account and click Next >
- Enter your name and your email address (i.e. your Reply-To address) and click Next >
- In the Server Information panel, select IMAP and for Incoming Server AND Outgoing Server, enter chandra.berkeley.edu and click Next >
- NOTE: chandra.berkeley.edu will only work as an outgoing SMTP server for computers connected within the 220.127.116.11 astronomy subnet (including laptops using DHCP that are connected to a cable). If you are connected from home, please use the outgoing mail server operated by your Internet Service Provider. If you are connected via AirBears, you must use another outgoing mail server such as the one provided by CalMail.
- In the User Names panel, enter the user name for your Unix account and click Next >
- In the Account Name panel, choose a name for this account to be used by Mozilla, e.g., Astro Email
- Click Finish
- When the password dialog box comes up, click Cancel (because you have not finished yet)
- In the mail viewer, select the account you just created and click on View settings for this account
- In the Account Settings Panel, select Server Settings for the account you just created
- Under Server
Settings, check Use secure connection: SSL -- the port number should automatically be set to 993
- Click on the Advanced... button
- For IMAP server directory, enter mail and click OK (Read here how to make sure this directory or link exists)
- Finally, in the Account Settings Panel, click OK
Checking Mail for the First TimeYou will be asked if you trust the department's security certificate.
Select Accept this certificate permanently and click OK
Back to the Mail Client Configuration Page