Orientation - Office Space and Keys
Astronomy/RAL/TAC/CIPS occupies all of the 4th through 7th
Campbell Hall, plus a portion of the basement. See the main desk person
601 for your office assignment and a set of keys. A deposit is
required for all office, common area and building keys; the deposit is
returned when the keys are returned. Besides your Campbell
office, there are a number of common spaces that are available for your
- Evans Room 264, Classroom:
- This room is in Evan’s Hall and is used extensively as a classroom and for discussion sections. You may reserve this room through CalAgenda. If you have problems reserving the room, see the main desk person in room 601.
- Room 501, Conference Room:
- Conference table and chalkboard; used for small classes, theory lunches, informal discussions and meetings. You may reserve this room through CalAgenda. If you have problems reserving the room, see the main desk person in room 601.
- Room 501B, Computing Facility:
- Research computing facility – workstations, printers. More on computing below.
- Room 544, Classroom:
- This room is heavily used as a seminar and section classroom. You may reserve this room through CalAgenda. If you have problems reserving the room, see the main desk person in room 601.
- Room 635, RAL Conference Room:
- Conference table and whiteboard; used for RAL meetings and small seminars. You may reserve this room through CalAgenda. If you have problems reserving the room, see Karen Wang in room 631.
- Room 657, Kitchen:
- The kitchen facilities are available to all in the Campbell Astronomy community. Please clean up after yourself, and write your name and date on food you put in the refrigerator.
- Room 661, Astronomy Lounge:
- The main Department lounge with couches, conference table, and whiteboard is open for studying, informal discussions or meetings. Colloquium tea is held in the lounge each Thursday afternoon; most other weekdays (Tuesdays in particular) you’ll find people congregating for tea and coffee around 3:30pm.
- Room 665, Mail/Copy Room:
- Department mailboxes, copy machines, office supply cabinet, FAX machine, paper cutter, printer, departmental forms, etc. See the main desk person in room 601 to get a code for the copy machine, and for FEDX and UPS mailers.
- Room 709, Reading Room:
- Small departmental reading room with tables, chairs, printer. Holdings include journals, pre/reprints, proceedings, etc. The campus Physics-Astronomy Library is located in 351 LeConte Hall.
- Campbell Courtyard:
- A nice, tiled courtyard space on the roof with redwood furniture and plants tended by the Cosmic Gardener. Perfect for reading on sunny days. NO SMOKING AT ALL. PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB ON THE DOME OR ANY PART OF THE ROOF STRUCTURE. IT IS STRUCTURALLY UNSTABLE AND COULD RESULT IN INJURY.
Other Space Notes
As you will soon notice, space is tight within Campbell Hall. Only faculty can request space. The Space committee then assigns space according to Departmental space policy. Please do not “swap” offices or promise your space to another. Unfortunately, this also means that we have no storage space. When you are ready to go, please take everything that belongs to you with you.